Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large file transfer using broadband 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepthought42

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
GB
Hi All,
my problem is this, I have a 275MB file, actually its a film, that I want to send to a friend but cannot since it is too big for email.

We both have 512MB internet connections, he is running XP and I am running Win2K.

Is there a way we can connect over the internet in order that I can send him this film??

Thanks for any suggestions

Regards deepthought42

A number of instant messaging applications have the ability to send a file. If both of you have the same IM application, that is a great way to do it.

You do have other options, but they open up huge security holes. Due to that, I seriously do not suggest opening up the machines to directly connect to one another.

I made a large transfer (200MB) from a remote client (2000 miles away) by allowing that user to connect to the XP machine via Remote Desktop and simply copied those files from their laptop to the XP machine in Windows Explorer. The key is to enable Disk Drives in the Local Resources tab of the Remote Desktop Connection client. Then the user can just copy the files like normal. Remote Desktop Connection Client for your Win2k can be found here:

-Volkoff007

Hi volkoff007
thanks for your reply and link, looks like I finally have a solution.

I will definitely be reading up on this 'Remote Desktop Connection', once again thanks for ya time.

Regards deepthought42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back