Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large file than 2GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlkosaurus

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
CZ
Hello,
NetBackup 4.5 dosnt backup file larger than 2GB.
ERR - Cannot lstat /taxnet/test.tar. Errno = 75: Value too large for defined data type.
NetBackup 4.5 for Linux RedHat7.3 Ext3,Adic Scalar with 2 LTO drive.
Thanks for advice.
Jiri

From Veritas:
At this time, NetBackup for Linux does not support files of size 2GB or larger.

I believe that this applied to LInux 2.4 and earlier but I am not certain on that.

The tech at Veritas I talked to said this error had to do with the ext3 file system, not kernel revision. He said that ext3 was still officially in 'beta' phase and that it would not be fully supported until it was considered 'released'. Now, as we all know ext3 is pretty darned stable so I don't know what their problem is.
To get around this problem you can do two things:
1: Run the "split" command on the problem files to break them up into 2GB chunks. This is a pain and it requires manual intervention into an automatic environment, though you could write a script to do it.
2: Write a script to scan for files over 2GB, and copy those files to a large data partition on a Solaris system which *does* backup large files.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back