Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large File Copy, Wireless Network Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savil

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
EU
Hello Everybody
I have seen several discussions on various forums regarding wireless networks crashing whilst copying large files with no definitive solution to the problem.

Well I have experienced the same problem.

I had a Linksys WRT54G network with four PCs attatched that enabled copying of large files with no problem. Broadband has just been enabled In my area so I decided to ditch the WRT and replaced it with a WAG54G. When I tried to copy a large database from one machine to another (4gb) the network crashed.

After comparing the setup of the two routers I remembered I had been using static IP addressing with the WRT but the WAG was using the default DHCP addressing.

After disabling DHCP on the WAG I was able to copy large files no problem.

For a small network this is not a problem and I assume that in a client/server network where the server manages DHCP it would still work but I would be interested to know of anybody elses experiences/solutions

Savil

Interesting can't imagine what dhcp would have to do with transferring large files . I assume all workstations were set as autonegotiate for the nics as this is the only valid settings for nic cards with these cheaper low end routers .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back