Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large Excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhtri

Programmer
Sep 28, 2001
How can i create/open an Excel file that has more that limited 65536 rows?
Pls help!!!

Try using a programme file editor (PFE) or access. These programs are not restricted in length. However if you lack memory use pfe as access can crash your p.c.

Could you answer a couple of questions? I might be able to help. What are you trying to accomplish? Is the file currently in excel or is it text or some other format?

i have a file in CSV format (text file), -which is much more than limited 65536 rows- and i want to change it to xls format for other changes, such as sorting, coloring...ect..
hope you could help
thank you!!!

I've tried to get the same answer for quite some time and have been un-successful.

Excel is a spreadsheet no a database type file such as Access etc. Internal addressing schemes limit the number of rows to FFFFhex or 65,535.

If you're familiar with MS Access, Foxpro or Dbase etc. you're all set. If not there are alternatives.

If you don't need all the data in the Excel spread sheet at the same time, you could break the file into manageable pieces.

You could open the original file with MS Wordpad, highlite half the file then delete it. Save the file AS a new file- name.txt and open that new file into Excel, again providing it's less than 65536 rows.

If this works you can repeat the process and deal with the later half of the original file.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back