Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Excel dataset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENALLEN

Technical User
May 6, 2005
US
I am trying to copy 70000 records from an Excel 2007 dataset and paste them in to a new xlsx. I am being limited to the old 65000 limitation. How do you stay within the xlsx file format ao I can copy large amounts of data.

Thanks.

Hi,

I always tell my users that Copy 'n' paste is not a best and accepted data acquisition practice.

faq68-5829.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

If you really want to port the whole dataset over, you could right click on the sheet tab and choose Move or Copy, check the Create a Copy box and select either the other workbook name or New Book in the To Book dropdown.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Or just "Save As" to another filename and then do whatever you want...

Too simple? ;-)

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

For the benefit of those who may come across this thread later, would you please post how the problem was solved?

Thanks.

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

The problem was solved by opening a xlsx spread sheet and adding data to A1 save it, CLOSE the spread sheet reopen it and the limits goes from 65000 to 1 million lines. I added my 70,000 records and life was good!!

Interesting behavior!

I don't have 2007 yet, but thanks for the heads up.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Thanks for the follow up, Ken. A star for your efforts!

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

Added information...
In Excel 2007 if you click on the top left corner of the spreadsheet you get a dropdown that has an 'Excel Options' button at the bottom, click on that and from the list click on 'Save' now you have a choice as to the format you want Excel to save your spreadsheets. Choose xlsx and you can save a million records or choose some other format and save to that.

Knowledge is Power....

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back