Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Drive Access Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Would there be any noticeable difference in access time for a larger drive with same speed specs. IE i am buying a server and am wondering if a 36 gb 10k rpm ultra 3 drive would be faster than the same exact drive but in 73 gb

If both drives are at full capacity and you did a seek test on both i bet the 73gb HD's seek times will be different. but don't worry about it, it should be good.

Actually, the 36 gb drive would be faster for a server in most respects because it's a smaller partition field overall to traverse. Seek times increase access times on an exponential magnitude, particularly in a server environment where defragging is often a forgotten art and file systems largely resemble fine cheese.

If you're looking at a server environment for this drive, I'd recommend multiple smaller drives in a RAID array instead of a single large drive. Not only do you improve performance in many areas but you give yourself fault tolerance, a must-have in today's markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back