Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large DBFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmalavrazic

Programmer
Jun 23, 2000
RS
I am Clipper programer for a long time, but since now I didn't work with very large DBFs.
I am using CDX RDD and I am interested in someone's opinion and expirience about Clippers behavior with large DBFs - more then 1000000(1 milion) records

To be honest, we don't have too many files using CDX RDDs, but our main CDX dbf hit the wall much earlier. We found it necessary to start archiving at around 386,000 records (which was only 79Mb!) -- You should note that we had 4 tags in the CDX in question. We hear rumours that the COMIX RDDs are somewhat more robust than the CA puppies.

Anyhow, unless you find it necessary to use CDXs for connectivity reasons, you really should be using Advantage RDDs. Using Advtange NTX indices you are safe until you hit the 4Gb barrier.

Have fun, ya Pal
KMC

As long as you are not using Summer '87 you should not be having any problems with databases exceeding one million record. For years I have worked on, and helped maintain, several projects that use DBFs with one million records or more and not one of them is having any sort of problems.
I would suggest have you look into a product called Advantage Xbase Server. What this does is take commands that normally work over the LAN, like indexing, and has the server perform the task. This GREATLY reduce the time it takes to index large DBF. It also provides excellent crash protection if there is a power outage or a network connection is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back