Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Background image on Pages slows site

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedean47

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
GB
Hello

I have a client who would like 5 different A4 sized images on each of thier pages (different image per page), these images are very big. They want the image to fill the full background of the page, they are quite transparent but you can see them pixelate if you try to get them any smaller in Fireworks.

My problem is the loading of the page and also how am i going to get it to work with the different screen sizes etc?

Would it be a background of a table and set that at 100% width?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

compress the image as much as you can, maybe chop it into rows so it is loading say 10 images of the same large image.

And yes, make a table, set to 100% width with the background being the image.

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

concerning the screensizes: i have the same problem with those that i am making my webpage for. The owner of the future website dont realize that no matter what u do, the screensizes will require scrolling, which they usually hate.

easiest way to handle ur situation is with tables. If u use the % u will probably only get pixelated images.

...life sux :p

Tell your client to stop being a prat, and that load time is more important than their 'pretty pretty' ideas, you're the designer, make your argument persuasive and let them know that YOU know best, and what they are asking for will suck the life out of their website- nobody hangs around to see pretty pictures load!

Background imagees generally just make the website damned hard to read, if they really want the image included, put it in as part of the website, where it can be seen properly, not some washed out bloody annoying 'thing' in the background.

I usually put my arguments along the lines of - "you really don't want that 6 foot high banner in dripping flames as it will drastically slow your index page load time, and if it takes too long to load you'll loose your potential clients before they even get there, I suggest you go for this alternative (and show them something much more stylish and less bandwidth hogging)"

If they don't like it, and you have warned them of the consequenses, make the site for them, make damned sure that you get it signed off + paid for up front, and when they come snivling back in 6 mths time with no traffic, charge them again to re-design the site.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back