Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptops and Windows Security Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCDugas

MIS
Dec 26, 2001
US
What are others doing to keep laptop users up-to-date on Windows Critical Security Updates? Internally I'm using WSUS but I don't think there are settings to tell Automatic Updates to check the Microsoft Web Site if they haven' communicated with my internal WSUS server. I need to make sure these systems are getting updated when they are not connected to my network.

I guess I could have all laptops point to Windows Update instead.

Are the laptops configured to go to the WSUS server when they are on the network? If so I would think they would get thier updates that way. If not do they have an internet connection when not on the network? If so cant you have them do the automatic updates from the Windows Update site?

MCSE NT 4.0, A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

The laptops are currently all configured to go to the internal update server. On your suggestion for them running the updates from the Microsoft site, I don't want them to have to do this because they probably won't.

Well, Microsoft puts out updates once a month, maybe twice if there is a critical update.
How long do your laptop users stay out of the office?

Maybe just write up some documentation (that they'll never do) for opening up Internet Explorer and going to Tools->Windows Update and then going through the screens.

Good luck, but I think you're doing it right, when they come back in the office they'll catch the updates if any have changed.

Plus you should be testing them before you roll them out right? Are you testing them on a certain laptop before the users update theirs?

I don't test desktop updates just ones that will effect servers. Thanks for responding.

Why not set updates to automatically download and install??? That way the laptops get updated whether or not the users want to do it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back