Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop won't see Intel SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I gave an older HP Pavilion g6 laptop to my mom and then later I was going to put a SSD into it. I cloned the Windows 10 over to an Intel 530 120GB drive using the Intel utility and the cloning went fine. But when I try to boot it, it says "bootable device not found" and in the BIOS when I do a "hard drive diagnostic" it comes back with "Hard Disk 1 Quick 303" error. Basically, it thinks the hard drive is non-functional/non-bootable.

But..... The hard drive works fine in other PCs and Intel SSD Toolbox says it's fine! I just tried the laptop with a Samsung EVO 860 500GB and it had no problem. So, what could be the problem - just some kind of incompatibility between this particular laptop and that particular hard drive? There's no newer BIOS and there are no options in the BIOS to play with. The laptop works fine with different brands/sizes of non-SSD drives too.

I just find it bizarre.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

So, I'm going to answer this for myself since nobody else did. A brand new Samsung 860 SSD worked just fine. So, it was just some kind of hardware to hardware incompatibility between the HP laptop and the older Intel SSD. The older SSD worked 100% fine in other computers. I should have stopped banging my head against the wall when the Intel drive worked in a different computer, but NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back