Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop with no HDD - WHich Distro please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogarap

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Hi,
Usually I hang out in the MS forums, this is my first Q over here, so don't flame me please!
I've been given a laptop with a broken HDD, everything else seems ok (I think the HDD controller is shot, I've tried a different HDD with no luck).
I'd like to install some version of *nux/*nix onto a USB keyfob, and boot the laptop from there. I'll be doing text editing (just basic text editing is fine, don't really need word pro capability), surfing, reading PDF/CHM documents, and if I could play mp3s, it would be nice.
I've got ubuntu on one of my other laptops, which runs great, and have some experience of desktop linux. I've played with the live CDs of DSL, Ubuntu, and (I think) Slackware. DSL was cool, but slightly more features would be nice.

Which is going to be the best distro for what I need, and which will be most tolerant of the lack of HDD?

I have no great feelings of like/dislike for any distro with the possible exception of ubuntu, which I like for the philosophy as well as the OS. Many thanks in advance.
Gaz

Code:
Which is going to be the best distro for what I need, and which will be most tolerant of the lack of HDD?

I don't know any LiveCD that would have a problem without an HDD as long as you are not installing anything. You didn't mention Knoppix, which tries to be a bit fancy and give you a lot of GUI sugar. If that's overkill then find something smaller.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

That was fast! I forgot about Knoppix. We use it here to retrieve info from disks that windows has trashed.
I've just googled 'install knoppix usb key', and it's come back with loads of results. Maybe I'll give that a go. My memory gets worse and worse. Remind me, were Knoppix the first people to come up with Live CDs? I think they were, so it's kinda appropriate to try them first. Thanks again for the speedy answer.
Gaz

The first distro was Yggdrasil, in the mid 90s. Knoppix was the first well known distro.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Have a look at PuppyLinux, it's a lightweight distro
loads from CD entirely into RAM, and runs from there.
You can then remove the CD, to free the CD-drive to other things.
(we use Puppy insted of Knoppix because of this...)
Puppy can also be installed to a USB-key.

BTW Puppy is a fun distro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back