Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop with new dvd drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuriusX

Technical User
Dec 2, 2001
US
Hi, I just installed a new 8X dvd into my laptop, the conection works and the drive gets power. the drive spins up and seems to work except that when I put it in my computer it seems to make the computer think that it's the primary hd that should have the operating system on it. So instead of a loading windows xp screen I get a operating system not found screen. I know I could fix it but I cant get into my bios

Dont like to teach to suck eggs, but have you checked that you have set the dvd's jumper to a "SLAVE" configuration ?
Also in your bios is the boot sequence correct, A,C,D etc ?

I cant set the dvd to slave since it has no jumpers for that but I was able to make a set of jumpers for my HD out of tin foil and make it a master drive.

Ok, lets just go back a step, Remove the DVD and tin foil from Hard drive, and reboot, does the system reboot ok.
Next add the dvd with hard drive (no tin foil) and see what happens ?
Also can you see what your "BIOS" is set to ? is it a PCMCIA dvd or an internal ie you have removed a cd rom drive ?
You might have to "RESET" your bios chip and reboot with the dvd in place.
Not sure how you would do this on a laptop ? I would assume its the same as a desktop in that you short 2 pins on the mother board.
Another thought that has just sprung to mind is that you may have to load a system file for the dvd in the config.sys file and autoexec.bat file as windows loads default cd rom drivers, which will be trying to load for your old cd rom.
I was going to say can you set it in dos ? but XP dosnt have it, could you try a 98 Start uo disk and load dos off of that and see if you can see the dvd that way ?
I suspect it is a similar problem that I have with my pcmcia cd rom drive in that windows needs to associate a driver for the device so it can place it into its registry.
Sorry if a bit muddled, but XP is still new to me, only use it as a partion on my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back