Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Windows crash - attempting to recover data

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearjohn

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
US
I have a Dell 4150 and Windows became corrupt. So far Dell has only been able to tell me to reformat and start over, but I need the recent data (mostly graphics files) off of my disc. I purchased an ide to usb enclosure, removed the drive from the laptop and was able to access it immediately from my desktop. I was in heaven until I realized that I had password protected my data. It won't let me copy the protected files to my desktop. I know the password, of course. Do I have any hope in recovering these files?

Advanced EFS Data Recovery

How to De-crypt Encrypted files on a Stand Alone machine
thread779-390584

post crash re-installation
thread779-915672

EFS Data Recovery Agent - How do I do this?
thread779-974529

An encrypted file or folder is decrypted if you CAN? copy it to a volume that is not an NTFS file system volume (ie. CD or Floppy disks).

308991 - HOW TO: Share Access to an Encrypted File in Windows XP

302093 - HOW TO: Prevent Files from Being Encrypted When Copied to a Server

308993 - HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP

EFS Related Information
241201 HOW TO: Back Up Your Encrypting File System Private Key in Windows 2000

242296 How to Restore an EFS Private Key for Encrypted Data Recovery

You could always return the drive to the Laptop and post back here (new thread) and try and solve the original error, if it is resolvable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back