Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop - windows 7 wont boot/turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

berkshirea

Technical User
Mar 22, 2009
GB
hi guys, can you give me some advice please? the laptop of my friend won't boot up the windows 7. he said that the laptop suddenly turned off when he noticed that the room temperature was high. he said that he had a look if some dust and fluff is inside blocking the fan but said found none. i tried to boot it using safe mode, last known good configuration, recover etc but the laptop just wont load the desktop view. it turns itself off in the middle of it doing something. at first i tought that it's a windows 7 issue but ive tried the ubuntu live cd and the laptop is still turning itself off just right after the configuration screen of ubuntu.

any ideas that i could explore? thanks

What is the make and model of the laptop?
i would start by removing the battery and unplug the AC adapter adn hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Plug the AC adapter in only and try to boot the Ubuntu Live CD. If it functions, then either a power/battery issue was the cause, reinsert battery and see if the problem comes back. Test the AC adapter, if you can, with a multimeter and see if the output is fluctuating a little.

If the above doesnt work, remove the Hard drive and download Memtest and try to boot and run it. If it continues to power down during Memtest, try removing 1 stick of RAM, and trying again. If problem still exists, replace the stick with previously removed one and try again.

If the CMOS battery is easily accessible, unplug it for 10 minutes and plug back in and try to boot. If all of the above dont work, more than likely a motherboard issue.

Memtest ISO:
"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

hi DrB0b, the laptop is an acer 5535/5235 series, model ms2254

Doubt this is still under the year factory warranty, but I would check into it. Sounds like a motherboard and Acer's are notorious for lasting just over a year and failing. Until the above tests are preformed, cant really go much further.

If you are not technically inclined, you could take it to a local PC shop and they should go over the list above but will prolly come to the motherboard conclusion. Dont take it to Best Buy unless you have too much money and want to toss it away on this diagnosis.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I agree with BigBadBen - You should be able to feel airflow from the fan's exit port on the laptop - if there's no airflow, there's no cooling, and the PC will shutdown as soon as the CPU gets too warm. It might be that a piece of thread was sucked in that jammed the fan, or a loose wire, or just plain fan failure. At least you know what the problem is, getting it fixed at minimum expense will be the challenge.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back