Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop video problem 1200-XL106

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjd

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
US
I have a Compaq 1200-XL106 which has the Trident CyberBlade 3D graphics with 4 MB shared video memory. I found the specification from the companies website.
I have been googling and haven't found any links that contain this driver. The operating system I am using is Windows ME.

Can anyone tell me where this driver is located or any good resources that will probably contain this?

Right now I'm stuck with 16 colors at 640x480 and I can't do really anything besides try and search. Thanks!

Have you tried Compaq, listed under the model of your computer?

Yes. The compaq website does not give a list of drivers to download. It instead gives a link to a page that has a program to remove a partition that was created by the factory. Which is totally unrelated to driver downloads.

The Win98 or WIn989SE driver will also do the job, if you see that one instead.

I had called HP tech support. They said the problem with my resolution not changing from 640x480 can be fixed without drivers yet they want me to pay 40 dollars for that information. I said I see that unfair just because you do not supply drivers on the website for download. They also say you can spend 20 dollars for a driver cd.

I said I'd prefer to just download them.
I am going to try and fix this problem. I change the monitor type but nothing seems to work.

Iamjd
I have/had the exact same problem with my Compaq 1200 XL106, even using Windows ME. Here is the address to download the driver you need. Note; it will install and setup an a new file, C:\cpqdrv (defualt) in this file you will find the requested file your computer couldn't find during installation of the display/video driver. Also, this will setup your monitor as default. Do not attemt to change monotor type.
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp16501-17000/sp16778.exe

I got this information from Compaq by using their "chat with a tech". They do a pretty good job. ( I suppect they are outsourced to some foreign country... bad news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back