Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop use 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Present

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
GB
Just wondering if anyone's had experience of leaving laptops on for a long time (ie. a few days) I'm experimenting with using mine to DL large files overnight as it's much quieter than my desktop in the bedroom...

Do laptops perform / survive ok with this kind of use? It's a modern Toshiba with a Centrino 1.6 processor, 512MB RAM.

Cheers

b

Well, I'm trying to "refresh" a battery in my Gateway. So far it's been on for 5 days straight.

But is it doing it any good? Oh and come to think of it, should I take my battery out?...

I use a Dell Latitude PIII as my remote console and I do not think it has been turned off in three years.

:) Ah! Okay then I guess it's probably alright! (I'm new to these machines, they seem so flimsy!)

Cheers

b

I used an older AMD K6-2 400 laptop as my main computer for about 3-years. I'd leave it on all day and all night. It was perfectly fine. I set the screen to turn off after 20 minutes of not being used out of fear of it getting burnt out from being on all the time. Laptop LCD screens just cost too much.

i leave my laptop on all day for weeks at a time, its connected to the net and it 5-8 years old, ita a winbook 300mHz and it works fine, i leave the power cord plugged in and close it when its not in use

Thx all - re. batteries, is it a good idea to remove them if the machine is going to be on a long time?

Cheers

I find its worth checking that you have up to date power management drivers/software loaded matching your hardware/OS otherwise laptops can hang when Windows turns off screen or disks.

It is recommended that you remove the battery if the machine is going to be plugged into the mains for a significant amount of time. Nothing kills a battery quicker than small discharges followed by topping up. Better to completely flatten the cells and fully slow charge them. For seemingly junk batteries, doing this a few times ('cycling' the cells) can restore them to their former glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back