Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop speaker noise question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondaidiot

Technical User
Oct 21, 2009
US
alright i know i am most likely in the wrong area to be posting this but i could not find a laptop section but i would like for someone to point me in the right area or maybe to another forum site that could help me resolve the issue, sorry for posting in the wrong area

what exactly is your question; are you asking about laptop internal or external speakers?

what symptoms are you experiencing; static etc.?

sam

well ok now that i know u guys dont mind answering laptop questions on here i'll give you some details, i have a toshiba laptop model a105 s4004 its about 3-4yrs old, when i am online using the internet and listening to audio things like a video or a sound clip every now and then there will be a static crackling noise that comes through my speakers it seems to be a random thing and usually last 30secs to a minute then stops for a while, i am using internet harmon/kardon speakers that came in the laptop, i have had this issue ever since i got the laptop, it has been to the toshiba repair shop twice for this issue but they could never get to do the static/crackling while they had it, guess they didnt use it long enough, anyways they changed my speakers out once and it was still doing it when i got it back, i use a wireless dsl secured connection.

Wow - that's one long sentence....

What are "internet harmon/kardon speakers"? I know the brand Harman Kardon, but is 'internet' a line of speakers? You say they came in the laptop, so they're internal speakers? Oh! Did you mean to say "internal" instead of "internet"?

I'm just trying to figure out whether there's an external plug to worry about.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

to add to john's post we still want to know if they are internal or external speakers.

does the static coincide with other nearby equipment activity like a microwave or fluorescent light etc?

the more we know the more we can hope to help.

sam

If you have a set of external speakers, it would be great to plug them in while the problem is happening to see if the noise is tranfered to the external speakers as well.

Without doing the above, updating the sound card driver would be a no-brainer and something that should be done periodically.

they are internal speakers, i have not recently tried to plug in external speakers to it as i do not use my laptop to listen to much music with and generally have the sound turned down unless i turn it up to hear something. no its not near any flourscent lights just in my room and the closest light to that is 6ft up in the air and its an energy saving light bulb so i guess maybe its flourscent but this problem has been going on for 4yrs or so, so i doubt the light has much to do with it, anyways where would i go to update the sound card driver?

oh and as far as the crackling noise being on external speakers, after i made the post i decided to go online and listen to music videos till i heard the crackling noise and it did it and i plugged in some older altec lansing speakers and the crackling continued but has since stopped while i am typing this.

It sounds like it could be the sound board.

If it were my laptop and I rarely used it to listen to music, video's etc. and it was a random event I would probably live with it rather than make a monetary investment replacing suspect boards.

It still could be triggered by other things like your furnace, refrigerator, hair blower etc. but may be difficult to trace.

Good luck

sam

its actually not a motherboard issue cause i had the mother board replaced in my laptop thanks to toshiba, but i'm not sure if it is a common problem with the type of mother board i have nor do i know which mother board i have, this static problem has been happening since i first got the laptop but gradually gotten worse

it must be a design flaw in the motherboard onboard sound or a driver issue by the way did you know kfc is giving away free chicken next monday

[wink]

hondaidiot,

It'd be helpful if you could apply at least semi-proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts. When you do so, it makes it much easier for everyone else to read your posts, and better answer your question(s).

That said, I've had a similar sound issue before. To me, it sounded like some sort of electrical interference, but it has also happened due to a sound card driver if I remember correctly.

When you get this noise, is your laptop plugged in? Sometimes, electrical interference can be carried over the speakers from the wall outlet. The only thing to definitely fix that is not having your laptop plugged in during usage. I know of this issue personally, when I had an older Dell Inspiron 1150. I only had the issue in recorded sound, when I recorded from a line-in, via a Creative Labs PCMCIA sound card.

On a couple of desktop computers, I've had it come from USB connections. If you have anything connected via USB, try leaving it/them disconnected for a reasonable time period, carrying out the actions you normally carry out to get the noise.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back