Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra29

Technical User
Dec 4, 2004
US
i am running win98 on old dell laptop the window will not fill the whole screen. when i go to properties, settings i get 4 laptop setting to choose from under standard monitor types. if I go to dell i get no laptop settings to choose from. what can i do to make screen full size

I dont think the problem is your "monitor" but your video card/drivers and or display settings.

"OR" your LCD could just be getting old.

Did the laptop originally come with Win98? If it is old enough, it may have come with Win95 and you need the Win98 video drivers.

the laptop did have full screen; but i had to reinstall win98 wich was running on it already. since reinstall i don't get full screen. i am not sure how to get to bios but i think thats how it has to be done?

> i had to reinstall win98 wich was running on it already

Did the CD come w/ the laptop or is it one that you had?
is it 98 or 98SE *if it didn't come w/ the laptop.

If you're not the original owner there is a chance it was a 95 laptop w/ 98 installed which means you may not be getting a driver you need.

could you post your laptop information make, model etc

> i am not sure how to get to bios but i think thats how it
> has to be done?

Highly unlikely, but when you start the laptop hit F1, F2, or Del (it varies so you may have to try a couple of times)

Go to Dell (shudder!) web site and find the Win 98 driver. It was probably removed when you re-installed.

just for S&G try putting your video settings to max........
Right click on your desktop go to properties then settings and adj as needed.
(dell is great for this).
if this doesent work then Drivers are most likely the issue.

There are two drivers you need to be concerned with:

. The display adapter
. The display/Monitor .INF file

Go to the Dell site and download the monitor.inf files, as well as the display adapter drivers appropriate for your system.

Install both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back