Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Screen not working, troubleshooting tips? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mldmld

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
Hi, I dropped my Toshiba Satellite A45-s150, and the lcd screen is not working. I opened it up and reconnected the lcd cable on the motherboard, but still got the same result.

I can hook up an external monitor and see windows, but the lcd screen mirrors the external monitor, but the image is very dark, and you can barely see anything. There is no color showing up, just a black screen with a greyish ghost image of the external monitor.

Here is the cable i reattached on the motherboard
step 14

Any other suggestions on troubleshooting the screen? Thanks for the help

Sounds to me like the back light is not working on the LCD. I believe there are two cables for the screen. One for the signal and one for the power. Did you reseat both of them?

DeeJay

Why is the image i am seeing on the laptop lcd a ghost, or shadow image of the external monitor. In the display settings the multi monitor is active and I can drag a window from the external monitor to the side where the laptop lcd is. So it shouldn't be ghosting the image. Thanks,

I reset only the cable in the diagram in step 14 of this link

It shouldn't be, but it is. So it's broke. Did you check to see if deejay33's idea had any merit?

The answer is "42"

I'm not sure where those cables are that he is referring to.

Will you look at the link I posted and let me know where the backlight cable is. Thanks

mldmld,
Step 17 shows the display cable. Unplugging and replugging isn't going to accompish much as this plug fits fairly snug. The drop may have damaged the inverter. Is there any physical damage that is noticable any where on the outer case.

That really doesn't prove much. I have a laptop that I dropped more than once. The seams are separating from the front of the case, and I can't insert PCMIA cards, but it is working fine.

You can never tell with physical damage. It's one thing if cables unplug, or cards or memory falls out. That's easy to check for.

If the image on the external monitor ever worked right, than you broke something on the mb. If it might have always been like that, then you could try adjusting some settings to get it corrected.

My laptop works perfectly with external monitor, and playing DVD's. Just not with PCMIA cards. Hopefully, it will last until I'm ready for a 64b VISTA laptop.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

My suggestion based on the fact that your LCD is not cracked and that you can see that ghost image on it.
I am not sure why it mirrors the external screen and does not display separate image.

Based on the info provided, when you dropped your laptop you broke LCD backlight lamp. This lamp it what makes display bright and shiny. It is located along the edge of the screen. If you feel comfortable opening up the screen, which has several layers and quite fragile parts, then you MAY be able to fix it for mere ~$20.

I have personally done this so it is possible.

You will need to open your LCD assembly, peel off the sticky foil that holds the screen together, and along the bottom portion of the LCD itself under the foil will be that backlight lamp. You will need to measure it's length and diameter, then go to this website:

and choose the correct lamp for your LCD.

After the lamp arrives, you will need to unsolder the old lamp and solder in the new lamp, put everything back together, stick the foil back where it was and then it MAY start working.

In addition to soldering part I also had to cut through the rubber lampholders with a scalpel and then put them back to hold new lamp in place. I used latex disposable gloves when I was working to not leave any fingerprints on the layers of the LCD.

But at the end, I fixed my laptop for only $20 instead of ~$1,400 for replacement LCD.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back