Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop screen going crazy - which part needs to be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate12345

Technical User
Oct 12, 2004
US
Hi,
My dad's dell inspiron 1300 (samsung 15" screen) laptop works fine most of the time, but recently the colors on the screen have started to change for no reason. The screen will all of the sudden go red or have like static looking colors, like streaks of odd colors... the LCD is in perfect condition so I did some research and I think maybe the screen inverter needs to be replaced?

The backlight works fine, it's just the colors being displayed are occasionally out of whack. If it's the screen inverter can anyone point me to where this thing exactly is?

Nate

When it happens, have you tried moving the position on the lid/screen? I've had similar problems with laptops when the connectors at/in the hinges started to go bad or lose contact. Usually moving the screen will either temporarily resolve it/make it worse/make it like a kaleidoscope, which is a fair indication of faulty connectors at the hinge.

yeah if you squeeze the sides or kind of bend it a little it will either make it worse or better and sometimes completely fix it (temporarily)... kalediscope is a good word for the symptom....

so how would I resolve a faulty connector at the hinge?

Interestingly enough when I took it apart I looked for the screen inverter, but never could find it, after putting it back together my dad said the screen still messes up from time to time, but much less and he has to use much less pressure to fix it... so it seems like when I put it back together I inadvertingly resolved the problem a little, but still looking for a permanent fix.

Nate

I maintain about 60 laptops of which about 30 are Dell 1000, 20 are Dell 2200 and now that Dell has stopped shipping the 2200, I have about 10 Dell 1300. Most of my 1000 have gone back to Depot for problems with the screen dimming. They replaced the display once. All the other times they replaced the system board. I found that when I push down on the top of the display, at the center, I can duplicate the problem. I think part of the problem is that they are using crappy hinges. I don't really have an answer for you, but I'm concerned that they are having the same/similar problems with the 1300.

Good Luck.
Gene
"If you keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna keep getting what you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back