Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop restarting itsel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprocfu

Programmer
May 25, 2007
Hi, I have a laptop that I used to recover the system with cd recovery at factory settings. But after a while when I boot it goes shrtly to blue screen and restarts itself. It never goes to windows desktop even in safe mode. I thought it is hardware problem, but I cannot explain. I appreciate to ge some explanation

Thank you

What is the actual Error number?

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information. You have a similar option (not to automatically restart) via the Safe Mode options screen.

How do I view the error messages registered in Event Log?

aprocfu,

If the system reboots too fast for you to take down what the error code is, then try this:

1. Get a digital camera ready.
2. Make sure no glare is on the screen, so you can get a good clean shot.
3. Make sure the flash is turned off on the camera.
4. Attempt to boot the system.
5. When the blue screen shows up, take a snapshot of it immediately.

BTW, for anyone interested, I found at least one listing where someone detailed several of the most common blue screen codes:

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back