Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LapTop RAM Chips 16 vs 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

InZomnia

Programmer
Dec 29, 2005
Well, I need this extra RAM for my old laptop, and was told I need to go for:

256 mb, 144pin, sdram, PC100

But when I search I find these two kinds:
256 MB PC100 SODIMM 144 pins 32Mx8
256 MB PC100 SODIMM 144 pins 16Mx8

Is there any big difference??

Thanks!

InZomnia
I'm slightly confused:

Looking at the two types, one does not seem to make sense ie:

32Mx8 I thought meant a module with 8 chips of 32mb each so 8 X 32 would equal the total 256mb

So the second module should read 16Mx16 not 16Mx8 because that only makes this module a 128 not 256mb?

As a general rule on older computers, a module made up of MORE chips of smaller value is likely to be more compatible than a module with fewer chips of the same capacity.
But for gauranteed compatibility, buy from an online vendor such as Crucial who have a reliable module sellector.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I recommend that you purchase your memory on line from Crucial or Kingston where you can search for your model of laptop and they guarantee compatibility. Memory, especially on laptops can be tricky and finicky. You'll find that Crucial are very competitive too.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back