Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Power Jack Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

baracuda

Technical User
Nov 6, 2003
US
Is there a way to test the power jack on a laptop besides process of elimination? I don't have experience using a multimeter, but it is my understanding that it would be used to test the adapter and not the jack, is that correct?

If you do not know how to use a multimeter, then either have an experienced friend or a shop test the adapter plug.
If it shows the correct voltage, then either the laptop's adapter port or the port's internal circuitry may be bad, assuming there's a problem running the laptop off the adapter.

I suspect that one of the legs has broken on the chassis plug to the motherboard PCB "a common fault" caused by repeated insersion and re-insersion of the power plug.

You can normally tell if this is the case by inserting the plug and pushing it one way or the other, you should notice the charge light going off and on!

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back