Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop or desktop which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

259west

Technical User
Mar 30, 2000
US
I want to buy a computer but am not sure if i should buy a laptop or desktop computer. I need some ideas from you of which will be better.<br><br>Thank you.

Dollar for dollar, you best buy, by far, is the desktop.&nbsp;&nbsp;For the same CPU/HD/RAM etc. the notebook will probably cost you double the money for the same performance.<br>If money is no object and you need the portability, by all means, go for a notebook.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then, get yourself a great 17&quot; or 19&quot; monitor for when you are at your desk, a keyboard, a mouse, possibly plugged through a docking port, and you are rocking!<br>However, back to the real world, most of us cannot afford all those luxuries, so a desktop makes a <b>lot</b> of financial sense.<br>Basically, you would only go with the notebook if you really need the portability like a salesperson on the road would require.<br>Hope this helps. <p>Ian Cowie<br><a href=mailto:ianco@email.com>ianco@email.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"If you see something THIS big, with eight legs, coming your way, let me know. I have to kill it before it develops language skills." - Londo, Babylon 5 <br>
Anyhow, how can I help you, eh?

Also with a Desktop(if you dont plan on going anywhere) is alot more easily upgradable, interchangeable, and you dont have to get stuff Specifically for that Laptop<br>getting Standard rams, CPU, motherboard, Case, its all standard, so buying almost any kinda of hardware for a PC is a breeze, course you have more choices to chose from too.<br>Also If you're not completely new to PCs, you could just Build yourself one real cheap, like getting the CPU(Athlon/650) + MB (Epox or some other KX133 carying Motherboard) + ATX Case w/ 300Watt Power supply, for um about under 400$, then the rest you can just grab, like harddrive, rams, so on<br>that way you get only what you want, and which one you want, course building a computer isnt always for everyone, and if you goto places like computer renaisance, you'll notice the boards, or chips they put in them are priced at way over the normal retail price,for example, a AMD K6-2/350 computer with 64Meg 10ns Sdram(8ns is good) refurnished, sold about 700$, and this thing had onboard vga, and onboard sound, (eww), normally if you were to build one, it would be half that price, and ALWAYS ALWAYS avoid motherboards with Onboard sound or video, they're such a pain most of the time. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back