Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayfarer3

Technical User
Jul 26, 2006
IE
Hi, I am in the market for a new pc and would prefer the portability of the notebook. I am so frustrated at the lack of transparency regarding notebook motherboard bus speeds. I am even finding this information difficult to get at when dealing with custom game machines. These focus primarily on fast graphic boards, which baffle me. What's the point in having fast processor and or ram if your creating a bottle neck with slow motherboards.

Is it true that notebook motherboard speeds can never match desktop motherboard speeds? If I am incorrect in this assumption would some one be kind enough to send me a link of vendor who can supply fast notebooks, who also ships to Ireland.

I know that the Asus SLI motherboard for desktops provide up 2000 Mhz bus speed. I have not come across any notebook motherboard with that speed.

Notebooks have to take into account power issues that desktops do not so will probably lag behind desktops in raw speed. But todays notebooks beat the pants off desktops from a couple of years ago.

The answer is "42"

Extra speed can often mean extra heat generated. Desktops and minitowers can have sophisticated cooling facilities, large fans etc. These facilities can be difficult to successfully incorporate into small, lightweight laptops.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I think that there is some confusion somewhere. I have yet to see any motherboard that supports a FSB speed higher than 1066 MHz, though 1333 MHz is coming down the line for certain server-based boards. When you refer to ASUS boards supporting "bus speeds of 2000 MHz" they are actually talking about a Hypertransport link. Athlon 64 CPUs don't have a SB, but instead use Hypertransport to communicate between components. Intel CPUs still use the old FSB model.

Now, the issue with laptops is that the faster you make the components, the more power they consume and the more heat they produce, both of which are undesirable in a laptop. So they will typically use low power/low heat components, which results in lower performance. If you're looking for a gaming box, build a desktop CPU using desktop parts. You can put them together in a smaller form factor case, and still have something portable for LAN parties or whatever. But if you are looking for a laptop PC that comes close to the top of the line performance of a desktop PC (especially in gaming) then you're going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back