Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop monitor issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleggle

Technical User
Aug 7, 2009
GB
hi, i recently spilled some hot chocolate onto my laptop (yes foolish i know ><) works fine except for one thing: the monitor is now dimmer except for one bright spot in the bottom corner. The spot itself is speckled like a liquidy pattern (for lack of a better word).

Everything displays fine, no LCD or dead pixels as far as i can tell. Would cleaning inside the monitor fix the display?
or is it more complex?

PS i have a lenovo R61i thinkpad 7650

If you spilled into the keyboard, cleaning the monitor is not the issue. You have doused the motherboard/video card with fluid.

It probably needs to be disassembled and cleaned. It's possible you have done damage to the motherboard (if the video card is integrated) and then you would have to replace the whole motherboard (probably not worth it).

If the video card is a discrete device that can be removed from the motherboard, you might be able to replace just that (probably worth it).

But it could also be fluid got into the connection between the motherboard and the screen, which would be cheaper to clean that out, but you still need someone that knows how to disassmble everything, clean it and put it back correctly.

AS A TEST - plug your laptop into an external monitor and see if the display has the same characteristics. If YES - then you have a problem most likely at the video card/mobo level. If NOT, the problem is after the signal exits the video card.

there is a foil glued on the lcd, and to me it looks like the glue got affected by the hot chocolate (burned).
one thing you could try

get a rubber (soft) and try gently to "massage" the "bubbles" away, it might help to puncture the foil with a thin needle.

afik u cant only replace the old foil

you do so at your own risk, so think twice what you wanne do

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

have a read:

How I took apart and repaired my notebook LCD screen with water damage

there is also a link for replacement LCD screens at the end of the article...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

It sounds like the backlight needs to be replaced, should be a fairly cheap fix if thats the case.

ipMonitor & Kiwi Syslog Server 9 - Online Representative operating on behalf of SolarWinds, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back