Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop monitor faded

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
I have a Micron Transport XPE. All of the sudden, the monitor faded. You can still see the screen but it's fading out. Is there anything I can do? I looked on Micron's website but no help. I called Micron's tech support but they wanted me to send it in which costs around $600.

There may be some setting in BIOS that control contrast and brightness. Also , do either brighness or contrast controls seem to be loose. I've seen knobs crack and slip on the shaft. Should be some resistance to turning. (I don't know details of your XPE)
Some laptops have software drivers that control brightness. Suspect that you could load ANSI.sys and a prompt statement in autoexec.bat and get bolded stuff to the screen. All of this, however, is just speculation. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Chances are fairly high that your Micron's screen illuminator is going south. Unfortunately this isn't a user-replaced part and will likely require factory service. You may want to look at replacing rather than repairing as this model is likely old enough to be fairly comfortable in its obsolesence :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back