Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Keyboard Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SloppyMcNubble

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US
Hello all. I hope someone can offer me some advice here.. I just got a laptop from someone else in my company, and that person wasnt exactly clean. When I got it, there was soda or something spilled on the kepboard, and a few keys didnt work. So, I got another keyboard, installed it, and now there are some completely DIFFERENT keys that dont work. Before, the space and backspace didnt work, now F8-F9, left arrow and zero dont work. I called the place I bought the keyboard from, and they said that it is common for there to be a short in the motherboard that can cause different keys to not work when a new keyboard is hooked up. Is this guy full of it? Next question.. is there ANY easy way to test the hardware? Other than getting another laptop just like it of course.. Any advise appreciated..

Sloppy

Try an external keyboard and see if that has any problems.
I suppose their story is possible, I've swapped a few laptop keyboards that were bad and they had no trouble. If the problem is not caused by the keyboard itself I would expect the problems to stay with the same keys. Unless the keyboard was not a direct replacement for the bad one. If you put the old one back in and the non working keys (on the new one ) then start working, I'd say the new keyboard is bad.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Rocker.. Thanks.. I have tried an external KB, and all the keys do work.. and it was a direct replace KB (same part # and everything).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back