Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop is BADLY infected--need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

snidget

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
Well, my laptop is badly infected by an unknown number of virus(es). My Norton antivirus software expired in February 2004 after six months of being a trial version. I was going to get around to subscribing, but never got to. The laptop got worse, and it freezes often, the taskbar doesn't load, the programs won't come up, etc. It's not connected to the internet 'cause I brought the laptop over from my house in CA to my cousin's house in GA for vacation. We went to CompUSA to get an estimate on the repairs, and I currently need advice.

My aunt said she'll buy me a new laptop if the repairs are TOO expensive. As for the repairs, the lady said she'd need to clean up the computer of the infected files ($100), subscribe to an antivirus software ($30), and if it still doesn't work, install a new version of XP ($??)... She said she'll save all of my data for $70 during the cleanup. The estimated cost of all of these would probably be well over a $200... She also said she wouldn't guarantee if it'll ever work properly after all of these things. The laptop would be fixed in 45 days, which isn't any good as I have to get back to CA during the first week of August. She also said that if you pay an extra fee, she could get it back within two days. As for the new laptop... even if I do get one I'd still have the clean up the old one. (barely 7 months old)

Are computer repairs any good? Will it ever guarantee that my laptop will be okay? Feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Since you mentioned the cost to install a new version of XP, I think its safe to assume that you DON'T have the restore disks.

"Are computer repairs any good?" Like anything, repairs are as good as the person performing them.

Will it ever guarantee that my laptop will be okay? The person who you talked to wouldn't guarantee her work. Others might.

All viruses are essentially software. All software on a PC is erased when a format is performed. As long as there are no hardware problems on the notebook, then a format and clean reload of the OS is the best way to be sure that your PC will work reliably.

I'd never pay someone to fix a PC, and based on those prices, I see I made the wrong career move. [bigcheeks] Since your generous aunt offered to buy you a new PC, why don't you accept far less from her to get a copy of XP, and reload the OS yourself?

How are you so sure that your infected by a number of virii? Doesn't norton antivirus just expire for updates? I didn't think that the actual program expired and stoped working. You can resubscribe to the antivirus prog that you already have. The easiest way would be to format to clear all software errors. But why not just get a bootable virus scanner and clean your system up that way. Norton can perform a scan before you install it. just run in safemode if you can't do a boot scan.

go to the mcafee site and downlaod the STINGER utility ...

it fit on a 3.5 diskette and clean the last known 40 virus.

start in safe mode and clean, reboot, and rescan

SYMANTEC also have REMOVAL TOOL on their site ; assuming you know the virus names you have ( not you but the laptop - SORRY JOKE :)

GOOD LUCK

200MMX is not big but enough to have fun!

Weeelll, the technical lady told me it was a virus, and an odd error message from Symantec keeps on popping up, telling me that the system is not stable... and that someone or some viruses were attempting to control it. And there were a few number of viruses that got in; and I don't know if Norton got it fixed. I hastily clicked through the windows, so I'm not sure. There's also the number of spyware... yeah.

Oh, and the taskbar is NOT showing up. I tried to burn all of my data files onto a disk, but the laptop keeps on telling me that the CD size is too small... which is odd, considering that the normal limit size for the CD is 700mb.

I'm thinking about having it taken to the Toshiba service depot since the warranty covers it.

I can't go online at all, because I'd have to go through the hassle of installing free AOL again... I usually have Verizon DSL, but ya know, 3000 miles away and all.

you can always go to your local library to get online and download what you need. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back