Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop - Headphones work, laptop speakers don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

There is no sound output from a HP dv6000 laptop. Sound driver has been reinstalled and it isn't anything silly like it being muted.

When I plug my headphones in though, I get all the sound through them fine.

Would I be right in assuming the onboard speakers have failed?

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Interested in my personal blog?

As long as you have the correct drivers, nothing is muted/disabled in the notification area or BIOS. I would guess that is the issue.

Al

If the laptop has been opened up for repair/maintenance at some time, then maybe the technician forgot the reconnect the speakers - this connector inside is fairly small, so could easily get overlooked.

Alternatively, maybe the jack socket where you're plugging in the headphones is faulty. This jack socket is so arranged that upon inserting the headphone plug, the internal speakers become disconnected. Removing the headphone plug and the internal speakers should be automatically reconnected. Faulty jack socket maybe? It would be unusual for BOTH speakers to fail at the same time...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Some newer machines with 'jack detect' technology that can be responsible. If you check the sound settings in the control panel, you should be able to change the sound back to the speakers. For XP, it is under the Volume tab - speaker settings - advanced ( a drop down menu to select the output). Vista would have something similar, I'm sure.

I agree with Roger that perhaps the jack itself is bad. There is a spring-loaded physical switch that shuts off the speakers when a plug is inserted, it is not uncommon for that connection to be dirty or intermittent.

If there's an easy way to get at the jack it's a fairly easy repair...a jumper wire should tell you if it's the culprit.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back