Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop hard drive recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelviticus

Programmer
Sep 9, 2003
GB
My laptop has a slow hard drive so I'm going to upgrade it to a bigger, faster one but thought I'd check here first to find out whether there are any manufacturers I should avoid.

I'm thinking of either a WD Scorpio 60GB (specs here) or a Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 (specs here). The Hitachi seems to have much lower power requirements for similar price and performance but does anyone know how the two compare for reliability? I haven't bought a hard drive for years and have never bought a laptop one so I don't know much about differences between manufacturers (if any).

Cheers

Nelviticus

Faster HD's generaly consume more power...if that is not a problem...my bias is to Seagate drives and they have 'workstation class' 2.5" drives that you might look to.

I assume you require the IDE interface??

I hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I have had excellent performance with a Toshiba HD in a Portege 3505 Tablet PC. Very rugged, good reliability, fast access. This vendor is excellent:

Home at Technology Partners, Inc. Welcome to TPI-US.COM, home of Arizona's premier PC systems and components ... TPI-US.COM offers much more than a mass merchant online store whose only ...

Dave

Thanks gents, I will check out those links when I get home. Power consumption is an important factor as it's an older laptop and the battery's not what it used to be - I was amazed at the difference in power consumption between the WD and the Hitachi. However, reliability is just as important so thanks for your recommendations.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back