Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop gigabit wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1701A

Programmer
Mar 23, 2010
US
i have a gigabit wireless router and gig wireless laptop that wont connect at gigabit speed, but will get gig connection when hard wired. could use any suggestions.
thanks alot for your help.

I have never seen a wireless card that does gigabit speeds 54MBs yes gigabit speeds no.
Laptops are sold with gigabit connections but that is for the wired port.
I could be wrong technology is always leaping ahead but do not think a gigabit wireless NIC is in use yet or is even possible.

For the record, there are no wireless devices with Gigabit speeds. If your laptop says it is capable of gigabit speeds then it is referring to its wired NIC and not its wireless one.

The max currently capable to an end user via wireless in a Greenfield environment (lab/testing area) is about 300mbps using 40MHz wide channels (instead of 20MHz wide like most AP's use by default) on both the AP and the client with the new N standard and that is in the 5GHz frequency range if I am correct, not 2.4GHz.

Now, realistically will you or I or Dave down the street get even that kind of speed at home? No. Not when you start taking into consideration the myriad of other factors that slow down the transmission speed, both environmental and logical. I honestly think the fastest I have personally gotten on an N connection was about 30 to 40 megs of true to life throughput in a common office environment.

So what is all breaks down to is that you will not get gigabit from your laptop to your router wirelessly, only hardwired.

my 2 cents worth anyway...

Americanmcneil
Network+

Also to mention even if there was wireless gigabit you will still be limited to the bandwidth of your ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back