Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop flickers and goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricpete

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have a Toshiba satellite A105 laptop. It is approximately 4 years old.

I started hearing a buzzing sound from neightbohood of either bottom of screen or speakers (speakers are close)... couldn't tell. Screen flickered, then went black.

I restarted the laptop and it worked okay for awhile. Then the buzzing sound started... followed by flickering and then going black.

This pattern repeated several times, but seemed to be getting faster (sooner after restarted) until finally it turns off right about the time that it gets to the windows desktop.

I did read where someone said that they had similar problem which they could solve by pressing on the laptop screen border just to the left of the Toshiba emblem at bottom of the screen. I had the same results. I put a clamp on and it worked for awhile, but then stopped working .

I removed the plastic around the screen. Wiggling the connector at the bottom has no effect. Changing angle of laptop screen has no effect. So I don't think it's a connector problem. I think it was a thermal problem and pushing on the border just helped heat transfer.

There is a hot spot just below the screen. A little thing about 6" long and 1/4" wide. I think maybe it is the FL inverter (?).

Leaving everything open and a desktop fan pointing at the hotspot just below the screen seems to help (I think maybe that is the FL inverter?). If I turn the fan off for awhile, then I start to hear the buzzing, then flickering, then it goes black.

With the fan running, everything is working fine.

I plugged in a vga monitor to the side of the laptop. When the laptop screen flickers (with fan off), the vga monitor did not flicker.

One other oddball symptom, I think is unrelated. In windows explorer, if I select the root directory of my 64 GB flash drive, and click on the file menu, it does not pull down (sends my CPU usage to about 100% per Windows task manager). I can pull down the file menu on a subdirectory, or on my c: drive, but just not the flash drive root directory. I haven't noticed that problem until now. It doesn't bother me, just mentioned it in case someone knows some reason that it could be related to my screen problems.

I think it is now narrowed down to either
1 - FL inverterd
2 - backlight

Do you agree? Which should I go after?
Any other suggestions?

yep, you are right, it's the inverter, can find one on ebay for a decent price, DO NOT touch it when it is live, it will give you a nice little jolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back