Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop fails to start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkjunky

Vendor
Jan 22, 2002
GB
My HP Laptop fails to start up at various points duting the boot up. It freezes and I have to force a shut down. If I remove one of the ram chips it will boot up and run ok. Is it possible that the chip is corrupted in some way causing the freeze up. This might sound obvious but after replacing the chip it ran ok for a while.

Sure memory chips can go south. Try one then the other seperately & see what happens, then both together again. Sometimes reseating cures the problem.

That's not the scientific way of doing it. Download the ultimate boot CD, burn it to a CD, boot from it and then run the windows memory diagnostic tool.

It will tell you if you have any memory errors.

If not, you should run the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic tool to see that the hard drive isn't near death.

Then move onto malware checking if it will stay booted - use Malwarebyte's AntiMalware to check.

Whether it seems scientific or not, based on the results from the mentioned "test", the method seems to have gotten the right results.. There could always be other issues, but that seems to be one.

Also, running memory/other tests off of Ultimate Boot CD or any other source aren't 100% fool-proof themselves.

For something like this, I fully think the "best answer wins" thinking to be the way to go.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

You always start with the hardware tests (where I come from) unless there's clear evidence of malware or software corruption. That's what I meant by "scientific" - i.e. logical way of approaching the testing.

Hardware problems always trump software issues. If the hardware be broke, then no software will work. That's why I always rule out hardware first.

I think the Windows Memory Diagnostic test is pretty fool proof at least at detecting gross memory errors. Then you could always move on to pulling one stick or substituting memory from another machine (if you had those options).

Well, removed one of the ram chips and it hasnt had a problem running since. Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back