Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop DVD Playback Choppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3Fan

Programmer
Dec 28, 2001
US
I have a toshiba sat. pro 6000. The DVD playback seems slightly choppy and out of sync with the sound, even if I have no other applications running. Any ideas?

Buy a Sony. DVD works fine there. I have heard that DVD performance varies widely in both PCs and home entertainment units. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

M3Fan,
What version of Windows? Even though you don't have any apps open, you could have a ton of processes running in the background and just not know it. CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to task manager to take a look.

Also, there is a tool called msconfig you can use to manage apps that start with Windows. Just go to Start->Run and type msconfig (doesn't exist by default in Win2K). You'll see what loads under the startup tab. You may want to start preventing the ones you recognize. The ones that you don't, throw it into a search at and you'll get some information on what it might be. Of course, you can always post back!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

BE sure that nothing is starting when the computer is not being used. (even though a DVD is on). Such as low power or something. also, if you dvd drive is not DMA, this could be the cause. Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well. [bigears]

what DVD software are you using, i have ran accros a few laptops that had choppy video with the dvd software that came with it.i installed a newer version of the wares or a diff dvd ware and it worked fine,also might wanna see about the latest vcard drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back