Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop doesn't see server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPSAG

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
I am not a network person. But my boss fired the one we had, so I'm stuck with this problem... I have a user who up until this morning printed regularly to a network printer across the hall from his office. When he logged in this morning his computer didn't even see the server that the printer is on. I have checked his rights, reset his password, reloaded the novell client. Any ideas what I need to do next?

Mooo... :)

Hi,

Most of the time this problem is do to no/poor wiring connection....check that next.

Does he get a login prompt?

Another possibility is a corrupt Novell Client.

Lou

is he getting a connection
what os is the laptop ?

is he getting an ip address
go to a dos box and type ipconfig /all
check address is ok and you can ping the server or router or something

is it queue or ndps printer

Thanks for the responses.
The OS on the laptop is XP. I moved the laptop down two floors and plugged my own network cable into it. Still doesn't see the server. It sees other servers, just not that one.
He does get the Novell login box. I don't know if it is a queue or ndps printer. How would I find that out?

so he's getting an ip address ok?

he can login to network but just cant see that one server?

is it only talking ip or is ipx in the mix

if it's ndps he will get it delivered to him automatically as long as ndps is enabled in the client

go into nwadmin and the printer will be assoc to him or container

No IP address, IPX. The printer is not ndps. I just found that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back