Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Display Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShirleySB

Instructor
Dec 8, 2002
US
My Realtor has a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop computer that is approximately 4 years old.

When the laptop is docked, the display on the computer monitor is OK.

When the laptop is not docked, the display on the laptop itself is garbled/scrambled. During the boot sequence, the welcome to Windows sound can be heard but the display never clears up and the laptop is virtually useless without docking.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Daniel R. Shirley

You may have the computer resolution for the monitor, and the laptop can't handle it. Reset for 680x480 (or whatever the native resolution for your laptop is) and try without the monitor. If this doesn't work, boot the laptop into safe mode (without the monitor hooked up), and see if the laptop looks better (it may be in black and white).

The native resolution could be up 1024x768, depending on the screen fitted (maybe as high as 1400x1050).

Enter the Bios (F2) and check the settings for the display (cycle through the pages using Alt+P).

Try the monitor connected direct to the undocked laptop.

Parts for the screen/power supply/ribbon cable are available - try for used parts at a reasonable price.

The disassembly manual is available for download from Dell. While you are on their site, check into their forums to see if one of the regulars knows a fix.

A photo-guide to changing the LCD screen is at
Andy.

Thank you for the tips. I passed them on to my Realtor and he is working on solving the problem. I will check with him periodically and advise of his success.

The display problem went away.

I passed on the suggestions posted.

My realtor went ahead and purchased a replacement cable and took apart the laptop. He took out the old cable and tried to install the new cable. It was the wrong cable.

He installed the old cable and put the laptop back together, (losing two of the small screws into the keyboard), and when he turned the unit back on, it worked!

It appears to have been a loose cable connection. Unless....dropping two screws into the keyboard fixed it! ;)

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Daniel R. Shirley
Computer Teacher
Claggett Creek Middle School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back