Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop connection to internet keeps dropping off / PC is okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryE

Technical User
Jun 15, 2003
US
I have a Netgear router and I like to listen to radio on my laptop. However, the station I listen to keeps re-loading and I get a message that says "Sorry, but it appears that your connection to the internet has failed" (or something to that effect). My PC does not have this problem. Any ideas what it may be? Thanks everyone. Larry

What difference is there between your PC connection to the network and your laptop connection?

I'm not sure how to answer. My PC goes directly into the modem and my laptop is wireless. I wish I had a better answer.

I would look for a newer driver for the wireless card in your laptop. Without knowing the vendor and model, I can't be more specific.

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

Does your PC have an *ethernet* connection to your router, or does your PC create a DSL connection to your ISP via a modem and then shares an internet connection?

If the former, then patch your laptop into the router and see if your laptop continues to have the problem over a wired connection.

Thanks, Vince and Jimbo.

Jimbo, my laptop is a Toshiba and my driver for the wireless is an Atheros AR8151/8158. Where would I get an updated driver? Do you have to pay for it or is it something Windows or Toshiba site would provide as a download?

Vince, my PC has an *ethernet* connection to the router. I will try to patch my laptop directly to the router and see what happens.

I sure appreciate you guys helping me with this. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back