Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop connected to wireless, but can't do ipconfig 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvdba

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2008
US
hi,
i have an ibm laptop that's connected to the linksys wireless router with no problem. however when i do ipconfig, i get this message that something is not functioning and to contact microsoft. any ideas?
thanks.

What happens when you connect it to the router with a cable? Does it work then? Sounds like you can get on the internet, but ipconfig is the only thing that doesn't work, it that correct? Need a little more info. Thanks.

What is the exact error message?

IPCONFIG.EXE Error
thread779-854408

Error message when you run the ipconfig /flushdns command on a Windows XP-based computer: "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution."

thanks everybody.
is winsock fix safe to run?

glen,
when i connect it directly to the router with the cable, ipconfig works ok and lists all the information. but, as soon as i unplug it, it gives that error msg:
a device attached to the system is not functioning.
all the other wireless laptops are working ok, and listing ipconfig without cable and via wireless.
thanks.

thanks everyone.
i ran winsock fix. and it worked like a charm. ipconfig is working ok now on wireless.
thanks again.

Resetting the winsock can be performed via command line too:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Thomas S.
MCDST, A+, Net+, CNA

thanks, TS.
i'm afraid after running winsock fix, the problem re-surfaced after turning the machine off. i wonder if there's a permanent solution to fix this.
thanks.

Do you get the error if you run IpConfig as another user? What about in "Safe Mode with Networking", with the current user, does it still error?

Have you run the SFC /Scannow via the System File Checker in case there is a problems with IpConfig.exe or winsock32.dll? Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If you copy IpConfig.exe from another XP machine and place it in a temp folder and run it from the temp folder, do you get the same error?

What is the exact IpConfig error message you are getting? Knowing that fact would be a great help in possible solving this problem.

Does the machine have other third party Network Diagnostic software installed or run on it?

Talking of permanent solutions, there is always, repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

thanks linney,
the exact msg is:
an internal error has occured: a device attached to the system is not functioning.
please contact microsoft support services for further help.
additional information: unknown media status code.
this worked the first time i ran winsock fix. but after i turned the machine off, the next day, the message came back.
any ideas?
thanks.

It sounds like a registry issue (something must be resorting to a corrupted setting on reboot) or problem with the driver.

If you haven't already, disable the wireless card. Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wireless network adapter. WITHOUT REBOOTING, run the install for the driver (pull it off IBM's website) to reinstall it. Then reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can try Linney's last suggestion to run a repair on Windows. If you're still having issues, format the drive and reinstall Windows from scratch. There might be some kind of infection.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

thanks so much again, linney.
the problem was with routing and remote access being disabled in services. i enabled it, started it, did an ipconfig, and everything is ok now.
thanks again.
cheers.

ooops.
it seems that the system fooled me. i found out that after about 45 seconds when you turn the pc on, it goes back to the same old error message. the first 3-4 tries, it's ok and you can do ipconfig. but after 45 seconds i get an error message. i also found out that if i remove wired lan from device manager, it works fine. the driver that i have for interl pro/1000 network card is 10-24-2006 version 8.7.9.0
i hope i can find a solution for this crazy problem.
thanks.

ok,
it was the driver. the driver that was causing this error was dated 10/24/2006. the correct driver as per linney's link, suggested to load driver dated 10/26/2004 (two years earlier) and it worked ok since i installed it, and it's stable now.
thanks linney.
cheers

That's about 3 times you thought you had fixed it, let's hope it is third time lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back