Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Battery POST Errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbaird

MIS
May 30, 2003
AU
Hi all. I've been asked by a client to service their Clevo 2200C laptop. Problem was battery wouldn't charge. He got a new "generic" battery, same problem. I got it, opened her up and found the battery conector on mainboard had broken off. I have soldered it back but on boot up it completes the normal POST sequence then it beeps 8 times with an error message after each beep as below:

Li-ion EDVI Voltage invalid
Li-ion EDVF Voltage invalid
NiMH EDVI Voltage invalid
NiMH EDVF Voltage invalid
Li-ion Charge Voltage invalid
Li-ion Design Voltage Invalid
NiMH Design voltage invalid

System starts and runs ok. I have only just discharged and charged the battery so I don't know how much charge it is going to hold. Windows power management doesn't recognise the battery charge level - reads as battery not present and power source as AC when only the battery plugged in. The battery is a 14.8 volt 2000 MaH. No distinguishing features regarding brand. Could I have a connector on the board where I soldered not touching properly ( I'm no soldering expert). Could it be the wrong battery type or faulty board.
Any help most appreciated.

Regards
Greg.

If the connector was still not making contact it seems to me that the system would believe the battery was not present.

I think it is the wrong batttery.

I gave the system back to the customer today and when i told of the error he said he had seen it before and had sent it back under warranty about a year ago and it was fixed. Maybe they replaced the battery?

It is possible. There may be some BIOS setting that needs to be done (not accesible to you).

As you could see it was reporting two incompatible battery types in the error message, both Li-ion and NiMh.

Dell ships a software diskette with a new battery for its laptops. I never really bothered to see what it did or why it was needed, but you have to run it before installing the new battery.

Thats a great tip. I didn't know that. I'll go and have a look at the web site and see, thanks.

I had good experince into laptops and issues relating to motherboards in particular.
you might have left some tracks unsoldered.
generally battery power connector has 6 to 8 pins out of which voltage is charged through 1 pin or 3 pins depending on the model. the rest pins are grounding and idendification pins.
If you miss the ground pin soldering or identification the message will be like what you have received.
so solder it properly.

I suspect you are probably right. I'd probably make a better opera singer than a soldering technician!

My laptop, a ProStar 3550, has been giving me this message off & on for last 6 months. I never work on battery alone (the idea of beach sand in my dear laptop never struck me as a bargain), so I don't think it 'affects' anything. I do want to fix it tho'. I figured I just needed a new battery. If I find any info on the ProStar site, I will check back.

(this thread was the ONLY thing linked to the phrase 'li ion EDVI voltage invalid' that Yahoo could find)

Peace & Prayers,
Suzanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back