Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop battery issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

r2016

Technical User
Dec 11, 2005
US
Hi, My laptop (Toshiba satellite) is having a problem seeing the battry when it sits; if I go to plug it in when it has been sitting longer than a few hours none of the lights will turn on, on the front of the computer (computer is dead). If I remove the battery, then plug it in, the ac light will come on and I will be able to turn the computer on, now when the computer is on, if I plug in the battery it will charge and it works, Any ideas? Thanks

If you take out the battery, will the computer run off mains or does it need the battery in before it will work?

If the laptop is always plugged into the mains then it is pointless having the battery in. No need to worry whether it charges or not.

If you use it without being plugged into the mains, then it is worth worrying about the battery or charging circuits.

Yes, the computer will only work if I plug it in without the battery connected; then if I plug the battery in while the computer is plugged in the the wall it will work as normal. Thanks

I've seen similar problems on older HP laptops. In most of those cases replacing the battery resolved the issue. When you turn the laptop off, remove the "charged" battery from the laptop and let it sit for a day or two. Check the charge after booting up the laptop. If it's lower than expected (less than 90%), then that's a good indication the battery needs replaced. If it's normal (> 95%), then it's hard to say if the battery is the issue.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

That's one of those tough ones because you don't have a spare battery to test with and it's expensive to buy a new battery just to troubleshoot. But, I'd bet that CDOGG is right about the battery nearing the end of it's useful life. If it's more than three years old - time for a fresh one anyway in terms of run time, most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back