Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop backlight vs driver question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSATECH

Programmer
Aug 7, 2007
US
i just finished reinstalling windows xp on my HP ZE1110 laptop, using all of the latest drivers available from HP.

Not more than 5 minutes after the video driver was installed, the backlight on the laptop screen died.

question: could the driver affect the lamp or is it just plain coincidence?

Probably coincidence...but you can boot into Safe Mode (tap the F8 key during boot) and use the default VGA driver, see if that works.

If you're adventurous, has all the backlights, and instructions for install, but it takes some soldering experience and a low-watt soldering iron.

If you're looking for a complete, easier to install package, go to
Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony,
Great links my friend! [thumbsup2]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

thanks for the replies.

the backlight does not work regardless of how i boot the machine, it is gone. probably coincidence, but i did wonder if the drivers had anything to do with it. i know you can change refresh rates to ones that monitors cannot support, and could cause damage that way, and i was curious if the driver could control the backlight hardware.

either way, it's gone, i use an external monitor for now, and the links supplied here have quite a bit of good information. i also can pick one up on eBay, seems this lcd panel was used in a bunch of laptops.

docfinity,
When you first power the laptop on and see the POST screen before Windows loads, the video driver is not in the equation. So if the backlight still doesn't come on at this point, then it can't have anything to do with Windows.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Just a thought - my laptop has a keyboard shortcut for turning off the backlight to save power. You haven't accidentally hit that, have you?

Regards

Nelviticus

no, it's hosed. it doesn't even turn on when i power off, including removing the battery.

the links above are good, i'm checking them out as well as eBay.

i should probably just dismantle the thing and buy a new one, for less than half of what i paid for this one, i can get one that will run circles around it.

i only use it when i travel, saves on wear and tear from the better machines.

Most of the time, it is the inverter that goes up the shute. This steps the voltage up required for the Cold Cathode Lamp. Though CC Lamps are vulnerable, in my experience it is the inverter that is the more susceptible.

You can purchase both the CC lamp and the inverter quite cheaply, often found on eBay - but you need a little skill to change either. It's not rocket science but if you have some DIY skill and the patience to work with small bits, then it isn't beyond your skills.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back