Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop automatically shutting down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrigil

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
GB
I have a laptop which is behaving rather strangely. Whenever I'm doing something intensive i.e. converting files or copying from a CD to the HDD the computer just shuts itself down after 5-10 minutes.

To make matters worse, I was trying to format the HDD to reinstall windows and it shutdown halfway through. Thus I now have a laptop with an OS that can't boot and if I try reinstalling it shuts down. It shuts down so quickly it doesn't even get past the loading of the drivers etc right at the start of the install which is about 5 minutes in.

It can't be the CD-Rom as it does it when not using it. I'm wondering if the CPU is getting too hot perhaps due to a broken fan as this happened on a computer I had a few years ago. And the longer the PC has been used it seems to shut down quicker. If however I don't use anything i.e. I just switch it on and browse the web or something simple it is fine which kinda makes me wonder if maybe it isn't the CPU overheating.

Because it's a laptop I can't take it to bits and check the Fan so I'm a bit stuck.

The model/OS is as follows:

Toshiba Satellite SA30
Win XP Pro SP2

Any ideas? I'm supposed to be going to Australia for a month and was hoping to take it with me.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Laptop CPU fans come on when needed (when it gets REAL hot). It's possible that "something simple" doesn't run hard enough to "call" the fan, when you run something intensive, it may not calling the fan when you need it. How much memory do you have? If not enough, hard disk use (virtual memory) may be overheating the hard drive and/or CPU. Can you hear the fan running? Did you blow out all the vent openings with canned air?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try blowing the vents tomorrow but now that you mention it yes I can hear the fan coming on as usual so perhaps it isn't the problem after all.

I've got 256Mb of Ram. Not loads I know but plenty to load Win XP. I'll look into the HDD Virtual Mem as well and see if that could be causing it. To be honest though the top/bottom of the laptop doesn't feel that hot.

I'll try your suggestions and report back,

Thanks in advance,

Chris

If not heat, download and run "memtest86" (free). You may need to run "extended" test (overnight). First, remove battery - remove replaceble memory and clean contacts with pencil eraser.

Definitely overheating. My firend has a laptop thaat shuts off when he tries to do much or for very long. It's a WinBook with WinME and he sent it back a couple times, but they eventually told him it's an "issue" with that model.

Blowing out all vents should help. It probably won't be perfect, though. For the occasional heavy task that would overheat it, try setting up a secondary fan either blowing into the intake or sucking out of the output. Or put some ice in a ziplock and place that near the intake. There's no real portable solution, unless you want to try to open it up and upgrade the internal fan.

Also try doing the regular power-saving stuff: Disable or disconnect everything you aren't using. Dim the screen or use an external monitor. (Leave the lid open, though!) Take out the battery and use only the adaptor -- batteries make heat when charging.

Hi chrigil,

I also have a Toshiba Sattelite A30 series and I have this bloody problem too... So, how did you fix it? Because, I couldn;t get it on. I actually, spent 1 hour just to post this message!

Thanks for reply.

You may want to check the BIOS settings and see if there is a "temperature shutdown" thats turned on. If so then its doing its job and you know where the problem is.

Hi redhatvswin,

I haven't solved the problem unfortunately. The bloody thing just keeps shutting down.

I'll let you know if I find a solution. Can you let me know if you find one pls.

Thanks,

Chris.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Some Toshibas are known to have an overheating problem. I have one, although not the model you have. Go to the Toshiba forums over on Compuserve and see if the there is a bios update for your laptop. Some of the bios updates slow down the processor slighty so that it doesn't overheat. Other fixes are replacing the heat transfer goop between the heat sink and processor. These things get hot enough to burn your fingers! (Don't ask how I know.) :) There is also a windows security hole that can cause your pc to shutdown if you have not done your windows updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back