Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop automatically goes to standby when logging in

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmeche

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2003
US
I just did a system restore on an HP laptop, now when I boot it up it starts to go to the desktop and then goes to hibernate. I press F8 and try both options "continue with system restart" and "delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" both give the same results. I assume that there is something in the startup causing this, but not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bret

Go into
Control Panel -- Power options and change the power setting

It could be that it takes some time to boot up and if it takes 6 min to boot up and Hibernation is set at 5min it will Hibernate fore it finishs booting.

Problem is that I cannot get to a desktop in either normal or safe mode to make any changes, it goes to hibernate while desktop is launching.

Thanks,
Bret

bmeche,
Are you able to start in Safe Mode without the hibernation starting?
Give it a try.

-Brett

cannot get to safe mode either, when I try go get to the boot menu, the only options I get are the ones I described in the original message. It seems that I may need to do something in recovery console.

Bret

I did manage to get into safe mode and went to the power options,but there is no hibernate tab or option to set there.

Bret

In safe mode change the power scheme to "Home/Office desk" and see what happens when you reboot.

I did that and it still went into hibernate, I ran msconfig and killed all startup items and all services that were not microsoft and problem solved for now.

Bret

bmeche,

The computer should not go into hibernation if the Power Management is disabled in the BIOS setup.
Try this and see if you can start normally to make a setting change in Windows.

-Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back