Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop automatically connect to cable/dsl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdumas

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
I'm going to do some traveling this week and wanted to know if my new laptop (Windows XP Home)would be able to connect if I simply use a friend's cable or dsl connection. Do I have to configure anything on my laptop or can I just plug their cable into my computer and it will automatically configure everything? I have an internal wireless card but I don't think they have a wireless router so I can't depend on that.

Assuming that the router is a DHCP server, and your laptops Ethernet LAN NIC is set to Automatically detect. You may need to run cmd > type, without the quotes "Ipconfig /release Local*" > wait a minute > "ipconfig /renew *Local", to get the new address, but if you have booted with the cable in, you shouldn't have any need to do this.

If the modem doesn't act as a DHCP handler, you just need to set your Network Cards IP/Subnet to that like the modems address. Your friend should know that, probably on the bottom of it.

This is assuming that this is a hardware programmed connection modem, and that the connection is configured and established by the modem once (or when it is rebooted), and doesn't have to be "dialed up" from a machine, or that he has a machine on the network that takes care of this and has already dialed up.

I'm guessing if it is a modem with more than one network port, it is a modem router with DHCP handlling capabilities and device automatic connection. Just make sure your friend has the modem set to handle DHCP, or has a DHCP server on his network.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back