Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop at Home and Work networks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlbown

MIS
Aug 16, 2001
GB
One of my clients has a laptop which he wishes to use at hoe and at work. At home he just has a ISDN router which is used for browing the Internet and picking up POP3 email. At work he has a Windows 2K server which acts as an ADSL Router. I don't have access to change his work setup as this is managed through another company. I have set his home router up to have the same IP address as his work Router, and they both use DHCP to give out addresses OK.

There are two problems. When at home he can send and receive email from his POP3 accounts OK, but when at work he can receive but not send. He can Ping the outgoing mail server (post.demon.co.uk) but mail cannot be delivered. Could this be a firewall problem on the work server?

Also at work he uses a proxy for web browsing. Is there an easy way to stop him having to put this into Internet Explorer settings each time he goes to work, and then remove it when he works from home?

Thanks in advance

Karl

It's possible that it's a problem on the work server, incoming and outgoing mail use different ports.

What error message if any is he getting?

A lot of ISP's mail servers require authentication to send when you're not sending from an IP they've provided. If he's using Outlook, go to Options -> Accounts, go to the Servers tab, and check My server requires authentication. It's something pretty similar in outlook express. Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back