Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmStrike

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
GB
Hi, I am trying to locate a reasonable Laptop, for a netorked office environment for a chap that has difficulty switching on a kettle (i.e. businessman, first computer, money no object type).

I was looking towards the Dell/Sony Vaio type thing.
The one that actually caught my eye was a Dell Latitude C640 if that means anything to anyone. What are Dell laptops like? Are there better makes/models on the market? Reliability/customer service rates over all singing, all dancing.

My coleague is in New York, so if there are any "wow this is amazing and ultrareliable and switches the kettle on for you" reviews, a link would help me.

I know computers, but never had a laptop as yet.

Thanks in advance
Rob

In a nutshell, I like the Dell Latitude line. I work for a government agency, and we've used and replaced outmoded models with Dell for some time now. They're not particularly fancy, but I've found them reliable and durable. I'm not a huge laptop fan myself, but we put them to a great deal of use when going out to the field, doing presentations, etc. The only other line I've had any experience with was NEC, which proved adequate, but I prefer the Dell's. Here are a few reviews, two of which are somewhat critical of Dell's Latitude line (Hey...I'd rather you get the bad with the good...) and the third is complimentary. Dell's customer service has, in my experience, been exemplary.

I'd go with Dell. I know that some people have had difficulty with their customer service, but I never have. They also have a great customer support website. My $0.02

Dell and Sony are both good. I've had a Sony Vaio for a year now, love it, no trouble. Compaq is the absolute worst, Gateway a close 2nd.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

For My money I would get the Sony - They tend to hold up better then the Dells. That being said Customer Support from Dell has been fantastic in my experience. Can not rate Sony's Support as I have never needed to contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back