Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop 2 with two monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdavelamb

Programmer
Jun 11, 2003
GB
Hi, i wanted to get a new laptop, but I also for when I am at home would like to work with two monitors, I know u can do this with some desktop video cards, is this possible to do with a laptop(not use the laptop screen at all but two normal monitors)?

Thanks!
Dave

I use 2 monitors with my laptop at work, it requires a docking station to give you the 2 video outputs though.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

one of my programmers demmanded this capability and the only one I could find that is stock like that is a Gateway....hate to say that name but.... and it is actually a pretty good laptop...

Tom

Thanks for the response chaps. You cannot get a standarding docking station then? You need to purchase one with the laptop?

Dave

Dell Latitude laptops will handle dual monitors with the docking station. In fact, I know someone who has 4 monitors hooked to a Dell Latitude, he's a stock trader so he likes all the screens.

Cheers
Rob

my point was and is that the gateway doesn't need a docking station, it has two ports built in

Tom

I use "two monitors" with my IBM notebooks but one of the monitors is the LCD screen and the other is attached to the computer's video port.

Is there any particular setting so the monitors do not display the same image? (sorry to be such an idiot!)

Dave

You have to go to the video settings and change it to use 2 displays.

My IBM laptop does not require a docking station if I use the laptop display also, but I didn't want to look at a 15" screen when I have 2 20 inch flat panels.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Hi,

When you use the docking station, can you also use the laptop display as well as the 2 external displays - i.e. to give you 3 screens?

When docked can you also use a PCI USB card to give you additional USB ports to that provided by teh docking station?

Lots of laptops, specially new ones come with a S-video output connector, if you have an S-video to 15 ping adapter it could be done....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back