Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAPI function to start/stop search engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

balakumar86

Programmer
Aug 29, 2008
GB
I am looking for LAPI function to start/stop Search Engines/Search Federator and Processes in the data flow. I couldn't find one. Is there any function for this?

Regards,
Bala

not sure what you are trying to do.all the serachengine processes are exes or exeecutables started with parameters
which you can see from the admin.index functions and the system volume page.I would troubleshoot why you need to That sounds to me like you are having stability issues with the serch subsystem,it should be corrected at root cause rather than workarounds :)
the SOV also allows you to set alerts so that a sysadmin can get notified if processes are stopped as well

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

Appnair,

What I am trying to achieve is, I need to switch off for a particular period of time daily. Currently, I am switching off/on manually. I am aiming at automating this process so that the search federator and dataflow processes stop at particular time and start at a particular time. If there is a LAPI function, I can use that and schedule that job to happen in the required time.

Regards,
Bala

AFAIK OpenText LAPI does not expose system functions.That said it may be possible to extend LAPI to do that.There is an article in the communities website that shows you how to write your own/missing API or you could ask opentext support to provide such an enhancement.You could also on a test sytem toy with what I originally said that is starting the search federator with a windows batch file.I have no system presently to test or else I could take a look at it it.But you should in your task manager see otserachfedeartor.exe's and otsearchupdaters exes that is what I am talking about playing with.
BTW are you bulk loading so that you want shut down the extractor so that the indexer has time to pick up is that why you are doing this scheduling ?

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

Appnair,

We have a rule set already to stop extractor if the number of pending messages with Update Distributor goes above 250. That's not a problem for us. The problem is we don't want to run Search and Indexing at the same time as it's causing issues because of lack of resources. So, We have to start and stop manually these 2 things.

Regards,
Bala

I can't imagine any business case for this, however a lot of stuff can be done via Java code inside the otsearch.jar.

You can send commands to the Admin Server directly and run specific commands. The extended Admin Server logs would demonstrate examples.

However, don't do this in a productive environment if you don't have some basic knowledge of LiveLink Search and Adminserver stuff.

What's the use of stopping the Search Engine/Federator via LAPI? If you want to lock out users from the Search function, then there's better ways to do this and I assume you would want to see the results rather than hoping for the LAPI code to work properly...

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back