Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lansuite can't start/ FWL Packet Filter service failed to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowweb

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
PH
I have a server running Lansuite602 LAN mailserver as it's primary function, but Lansuite is unable to start and when I look in the system log there are hundreds of errors all the same.

Event ID:7000
The FWL Packet Filter service failed to start due to the following error.
FWL Packet Filter is not a valid Win32 application.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards

Peter Snow

Assuming that the application is valid(!) and installed, it sounds like your registry might be corrupt. Did you try the time-honored fix for anything Microsoft (rebooting)?

The tell-tale sign of a properly running network is a bored network administrator!

-Shrubble

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, tried restarting, no joy.

Do you know what FWL Packet filter is and how to go about troubleshooting it?

Kind regards, pete

This issue is now resolved. thanks for your help.

the problem was caused because the path to Lansuite contains spaces and there is a Win2K bug which can cause programs which are set to run as services to fail if there is a space in the path.

Applied MS KB solution and all is now well.

Good deal.

We have several users on our network that name Windows files and directories like short stories:

"Presentations for Ted and George in Ohio"

or something similar.

Whenever I see this, I cringe! I guess the UNIX guy in me comes out, and I figure it's only a matter of time before all those letters and all those spaces throws something off!

SELECT user
FROM users
WHERE common_sense IS EQUAL TO NULL;

-Shrubble

Yeah, I know what you mean!! But it does rather stink when the path in question is a default windows path like C:\Program Files !!

Can't believe MS didn't patch this problem since it the service program can't even handle a default windows path.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

You'd think (OOPS- common sense!) that if something was to run as a service, the whole "multiple word" naming convention would be avoided like the plague for fear of confusing paths, service names, and command arguments with one another.

Anyway...

SELECT user
FROM users
WHERE common_sense IS EQUAL TO NULL;

-Shrubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back